Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Star Wars ABC's - The Letter T
"T" is for Tuesday...and Tatooine.
Ah, Tatooine, the Cradle of Skywalkers.
We were introduced to this pathetic "go nowhere" planet in the first Star Wars movie when a fateful battle erupted between a Rebel blockade runner and a Star Destroyer. An escape pod carrying two certain droids crash-landed on Tatooine...which is kind of your small-town, no future, single traffic light town.
Luke Skywalker implies nothing exciting ever happens on Tatooine.
Obviously, Luke's Uncle Owen never let him march down to the Tatooine Historical Society.
If he had, he would've discovered the following facts:
1) The escape pod wasn't the first ship to crash-land in the sand
2) His father grew up there...he ended up being kind of important
3) His grandmother died there
4) There's an annual podracing competition that is probably the economic lifeblood of the pathetic planet
5) Obscure, unimportant Tatooine appeared in each of the prequel movies
So...um...yeah. Tatooine is kind of like the small-town high school that annually produces top-flight athletes, yet somehow manages to retain a certain, dismissive anonymity.
And did you see this? Tatooine exists in real life!
TOMORROW: Short and ugly, they may have been what Kramer actually spotted in an episode of "Seinfeld."
S is for Star Destroyer
R is for Rancor
Q is for Qui-Gon Jinn
P is for Probe Droid
O is for Owen
N is for Needa
M is for Mon Mothma
L is for Lightsaber
K is for Kenobi
J is for Jabba
I is for "I know"
H is for Hoth
G is for Galactic Empire
F is for Falcon
E is for Emperor
D is for Death Star
C is for Chewie
B is for Bespin
A is for Ackbar